Ok. I admit it. This Farmer's Wife is defeated. By one block.
But I am nothing if not an excellent problem solver when it comes to quilting. So I have a solution for my insufficient # of blocks. If it works, I'll show you. If not, I'll tell you about it and then show you Plan B ... or C ... however many it takes to get this quilt done!
So here are my last.two.blocks. And like the last few weeks you won't find them in the book either.
I'd been thinking for a while it might be kinda cool to include a bit of "Flower Sugar" selvedge, since all the fabrics I used are from that line (except the white).
I made the stripes deliberately askew. Just for fun. I also threw in a few of the color legends ... which I love.
And now for the Grand Finale Block!
I've known right from the start I was going to embroider my name etc. on an album-type block.
But I couldn't find one I liked. So I made this one up for myself. (I did find it a little odd there wasn't a single album block in the entire book ... I can't be the ONLY person who wants to put my name on the front of the quilt rather than hiding it on the back!)
To keep the details fine I used only 1 ply of floss with a backstitch (even though the backstitch and I aren't exactly best friends 'cause my stitches aren't terribly uniform in length and that bugs me ... it just doesn't bug me enough to stitch slower for better accuracy ... ).
A little part of me thinks it would have been more "authentic" to use my own handwriting. But my penmanship was ruined by 5 years of University. (Yes, I'm so old I remember the dark ages of laboriously taking notes in class BY HAND!) But it's awful. I did try doing my very best writing/printing, but it just looked ... I dunno ... goofy. So I resorted to my favorite trick of typing out text on my computer, finding a nice font, resizing it and printing it out as my embroidery template.
And I don't mind fooling anyone from the future who sees this quilt into thinking I had amazingly feminine & delicate penmanship. Maybe they will also (erroneously) imagine I had a personality to match.
So this is them. All 110 of them. All nearly 6" of them!
Can hardly wait to put 'em all together.
I guess the pressure is really on to finish now ... since I ambitiously EMBROIDERED the year! LOL!