Sorry I made you wait for this reveal, but I'm really not wanting to let go of Project Simplify. Guess I'm dragging it out as long as possible. I hate good byes. :(
Here she is ... "Crossroads", as christened by my helper.
Wow. I absolutely love this quilt. (Have I said that before?)
You know, I don't usually go for peachy, coraly, browny, mossy colors. But there is just something about "Buttercup" that tugs at my heartstrings. I think the attraction might be sentimental because my Grandma Irma was a redhead and these were DEFINITELY her colors.
So remember I used a Fat Eighth bundle instead of the required pre-cut strips for this quilt? And I was going to just cut as many blocks as I could with the fabric I had and build the quilt as big as I could - without a border? Well, it ended up being square - the same width as the one in the book, but about 8" shorter. Not bad!
It's perfect for a dash of color on a sofa, cuddling or a little extra warmth folded at the foot of a bed. Cozy, anyway you slice it.
And about going borderless (again) here - I think it makes this quilt look more "old-fashioned" for some reason.
When my helper and I were laying out the quilt, I organized all the "blocks" on the floor and then we'd slide them into place. She came up with the idea of us taking turns like you would playing a game. She placed a block, then I did.
I loved watching her because she's dyslexic and some things are a little tricky for her. I will say, however, that the layout of this quilt required some mental gymnastics for me too! It's not difficult, but it does take a little concentration. I think the exercise of laying out this quilt was a good activity for her. (Ugh, that totally makes me sound like a mom, doesn't it?!!!)
I'm really happy about the backing, too. I had a small stack of leftover Fig Tree "Allspice Tapestry" fat quarters from a few years ago so I pieced them together for the back. The colors work great with "Buttercup".
I'm surprised when I realize I've never made a back entirely out of FQs before. And if it weren't for my mission of using what I have instead of buying more fabric, I prob'ly wouldn't have used them up here.
See, I have this thing ... (here she goes again with a thing!) I've made backings using up "leftovers" in the past, thinking I was being all smart & frugal. But a few times I've regretted it soooo much because later I'd be making something else and I'd NEED THAT SCRAP RIGHT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT BACKING for this new quilt. I've even seriously contemplated UNcross-hatching a quilt to get to a scrap! (Am I the only one with this thing?)
So whenever I piece a backing now - which I almost always do - a little part of me is nervous that I'll regret using that last scrap of fabric. And using up 12 perfectly good FQs is really going out on a limb for me.
But in the end, this FQ backing was super easy. And they make the quilt reversible, too ... 'specially with all my fancy schmancy fmqed flowers! tee hee ;)
- Yardage - 5.8 yds / 5.3 m
- Weight - 2.8 lbs / 1.2 kg
Alright folks. Give me the weekend to put together a "Project Simplify - Stick a Fork In Me I'm Done" post ... my fabric stash is in desperate need of tidying up (ugh, I could hyperventilate just thinking about it) so I can determine how well I did with my "simplifying".
(I gotta bad feeling I didn't do so good ... )